Wednesday, May 25, 2011

only in spanish? :-/

I saw this truck while driving down the road.  I really wanted to take it's photo, but every time we stopped at a red light we were just to far apart from each other. It bummed me out; that is until I stopped at Wallyworld (Wal-mart) and noticed that it was there too!  It kind of makes me upset, the long and short of it is that when my ancestors came over from Europe they didn't really have a choice but to learn to speak English.  My grandfather told me that his mother who was from Poland wouldn't let him speak Polish at home, he had to learn most of it from the streets.  My Grandmother was never taught Danish even though her family came from Denmark and parents and grandparent spoke it all the time to each other.  She and her sisters were told "you are Americans you must speak English."   So ya, seeing something like this and stores that cater to people from foreign country it makes me a bit upset because do you realize how many languages I would know if my ancestors weren't told "you're in American now; learn English."?

May 21

1 comment:

Calvin said...

Pity, isn't it? I had friends in high school who came from Europe and spoke as many as 6 different languages, because of a richly mixed heritage in their families.